Looking to move your website's content and podcast to a new website?
This might be the case for a variety of reasons, including:
- You're merging your content with another website and need to move your podcast to an already existing site.
- You're redesigning or restructuring your website, starting from scratch with a new theme.
- You want to update a staging site with just your podcast episodes.
Using a WordPress website migration or backup plugin will help avoid bringing over unwanted files or database tables.
Can I just import the RSS feed instead? Our Seriously Simple Podcasting plugin (SSP) stores a variety of information in your WordPress database that isn't needed for your RSS feed. For instance, your Castos episode and file IDs (if you're using Castos to host your podcast) and post IDs are used to organize your content in WordPress but aren't included in your RSS feed. To make sure your podcast will work on your new website you'll need to move all the data the plugin stores along with the information included in your RSS feed.
Moving Your Existing SSP Podcast to a New WordPress Installation
A few things before you get started...
- Double-check the new website has the exact same version of WordPress and the SSP plugin installed as the website you're leaving.
- Create backups on both the old and new websites.
In the steps below, we'll call the website you're leaving: Old site A and the website you're moving to: New site B
- On new site B, install and set up the SPP plugin using our Setup Guide (skip the step to connect your account to Castos hosting).
- Is the podcast being added to new site B as a new Series (podcast show)? If so, complete the steps outlined in the following article at this point: Working With Podcast Series.
- Next, export your podcast episodes from old site A: In the WordPress dashboard of old site A, go to Tools Export select Podcasts click Download Export File (PRO TIP: You'll want to save the downloaded XML file to your desktop or a location you can easily find later):
- 4. In the WordPress dashboard of new site B, go to Tools select Import
5. The first time you do this you'll be prompted to install the WordPress Importer plugin. Click Install and follow the on-screen steps to import the XML file.
6. After the import is complete, return to the WordPress dashboard of new site B and go to Podcast All Episodes. Click the episode and check the box to assign it to the appropriate podcast series:
Doing this from the list table is quicker than opening each post individually.
7. Once this process is complete, turn your attention to migrating your RSS feed from old site A to new site B Redirect your feed to a New Feed URL