Publish your first episode in WordPress
Syncing to Castos? Connect your WordPress site and Castos account by entering and validating your email and API key
|Create a new episode
|Podcast Episode Details tab
When Seriously Simple Podcasting is installed and activated, you can get to work publishing your first episode.
Create a new episode
Seriously Simple Podcasting creates new episodes by default using the Podcast custom post type. To make a new episode:
- Go to Podcasting → Add New Episode
- If you have enabled Seriously Simple Podcasting for any other post type, like Post, you can use Add New to that post type instead.
Either way, the resulting screen will like your familiar WordPress page editor, except now you'll see a new box underneath the content editor labeled Podcast Episode Details.
- Add a title to your episode
- Add a episode description to the main content body of the podcast or post
- Click Select file in Podcast Details to upload and sync a supported media file
- Press Publish to save your episode and add it to your podcast's RSS feed. You can also schedule an episode ahead of time.
Podcast Episode Details tab
- Sync status: Previously published episodes will show their sync status to Castos.
- Episode type: Here you can specify if your episode is in audio or video format - this defaults to audio, so if you are not publishing any video episodes then you can safely ignore this option.
- Podcast file: This required field ensures your post appears in the RSS feed of your podcast. You can upload media via the Upload File button or paste the web URL for third-party hosts
Using a podcast host other than Castos and not syncing with Castos? Seriously Simple Podcasting will not automatically check for new episodes nor create versions of those episodes on your WordPress site. Also, consider a trial of Castos hosting with a discount for being an established Seriously Simple Podcasting podcaster!
- Duration: This represents the displayed length of your media file for listeners (e.g., 23:45). While automatic calculation is attempted upon saving, you can manually input a value here.
- File size: The displayed file size of your media (e.g., 36.4M) for listeners. While automatic calculation is attempted upon saving, you can manually input a value here to override the process.
- Date recorded: If you've selected to show Recording Date (rather than Published date) use the calendar date picker to set for your podcast episode.
- Explicit: Select this box if your episode includes foul or explicit language; otherwise, leave it unchecked
- Block: To exclude this episode from Apple Podcasts and Google Play (while still appearing in your RSS feed), check this box; otherwise, leave it unchecked.
When creating a new episode you have the option of adding your podcast to a series. This works just like adding your blog posts to categories ad you can find the series in the Podcast Series box on the right of the episode edit screen:
Learn more about working with multiple podcasts here.