Move your podcast to a new WordPress website
- Make sure the new website has the exact same version of WordPress and the SSP plugin installed as the website you're leaving.
- Create backups of both WordPress websites
Move your podcast managed by WordPress and Seriously Simple Podcasting plugin to a new WordPress page
This step-by-step guide will be useful for a few reasons, including:
- You’re merging your content with another website and need to move your podcast to an already existing site
- You're redesigning or restructuring your website, starting from scratch with a new theme, or
- You want to update a staging site with just your podcast episodes
Using a WordPress website migration or backup plugin will help avoid bringing over unwanted files or database tables.
Why Can't I Just import the RSS Feed?
The Seriously Simple Podcasting plugin (SSP) stores extra data in your WordPress database that is not included in your podcast’s RSS feed. This includes data like Castos episode IDs, file IDs, and post IDs to properly sync to Castos.
To ensure your podcast works on your new website, you'll need to move all the data the plugin stores + the information included in your RSS feed. This guide will show you how.
Move an existing Seriously Simple Podcasting podcast to a new WordPress installation
In the steps below, we'll call the website you're leaving old site A and the website you're moving to new site B.
- On new site B, install and set up the Seriously Simple Podcasting plugin using our setup guide (you can skip the steps to connect your account to Castos hosting for the time being)
- Is the podcast being added to new site B as a secondary podcast (formerly called series)? If so, complete the steps outlined in the following guide: Working With Multiple Podcasts
Export your podcast episodes from
old site A
In the WordPress dashboard of old site A, go to Tools → Export → select Podcasts → click Download Export File
(tip: save the file to your desktop or a location you can easily find later):
- In the WordPress Admin dashboard of new site B, go to Tools → select Import → Run Importer:
If you're prompted to install the WordPress Importer plugin, click Install and follow the on-screen steps to import the XML file.
- In the WordPress Admin dashboard of new site B, go to Podcast → All Episodes and click each episode and check the box to assign it to the appropriate podcast series if needed:
Episodes which have multiple (secondary) podcasts selected will not sync to each podcast on your Castos dashboard.
See how to include multiple podcast's episodes in your default feed here.
If you have a lot of episodes, doing this from the list table and QuickEdit is more efficient than opening each post individually.